You’re receiving this test because you’ve subscribed to the blog about my old neighborhood, Hollywood Park, and the surrounding neighborhoods from Albany Park to Peterson Park. Last week I sent out a test to see if the new service for blog subscriptions was working. It wasn’t, so I’m trying this again. In the past I [...]
I wish I had a story to post this week, but haven’t had a chance to revisit the past for a while. Modern technology, however, is requiring me to send this test post out because I’ve switched to a different program to distribute the Me & My Shadow blogposts to subscribers. (If you are [...]
The title of this blogpost includes the words Albany Park because, apparently, there were, at one time, two Purity Restaurants in Chicago. There was the one on Lawrence Avenue, pictured above and, you may not have known, there was a second restaurant with the same name at Van Buren and Halsted streets.
If you grew up Jewish in Chicago and are of a certain age, say, 50 or older, there’s a good chance the synagogue where you went to Hebrew School has moved to a new location or no longer exists. Either way, buildings were left behind in neighborhoods that no longer have a Jewish population.
Brenda Wolin Terry shares memories of growing up in that sliver of Peterson Park east of Kimball Avenue. You know, across the street from the stables.
“Bagels have never been the same since. Mr. Kaufman created a new kind of bagel, one without the bullet-proof skin, one that you could bite into with ease yet still had that satisfying al dente feel.”
Perfect day for walking in the footsteps of local history and discovering the beauty that was hidden behind the green fence surrounding the Municipal Tuberculosis Sanitarium from 1915 to 1974.
Join me for a talk and walk about the history of the Municipal Tuberculosis Sanitarium–a hidden city within the city.
Frances O’Cherony Archer writes this blog
What we’re saying
Never miss a post: subscribe via Feedburner
- A look back at Lincoln Village Shopping Center January 29, 2012
- Hot Dogs and Baseball: An Albany Park Boyhood February 4, 2011
- Albany Park Cool February 13, 2012
- Mom and Pop March 8, 2010
- Blog subscription test repeated April 29, 2013
- Blog subscription test April 22, 2013
- The Purity Delicatessen of Albany Park April 14, 2013
- Book review: There Used to Be a Synagogue Here January 22, 2013
- barbara pierce: I loved your comnents as I lived at 5528 north kim...
- Frances Archer: Hi Renee, thanks for visiting. So glad to hear you...
- Renee Fishman Harris: As always, Frances, another wonderful trip down me...
- Howard Sims: Hi, Frances...I'd love for you to stop by. We're...