Shelby Kanarish, wrote this comment in a previous blog post. It’s a great list and a great idea.
If you showed up in the Hollywood Park neighborhood after the great post-war building boom, as my family did, you would have missed the wide-open prairie landscape of Central Park Avenue.
While the Hollywood Park neighborhood on the North Side didn’t offer much in the way of Culture when I was growing up, a few blocks over on Lincoln Avenue what may have been one of the largest and best collections of neon signs in Chicago was always on display.
Although so many of you have remembered Maury’s in your comments on this blog, the story and his photo were missing from these pages. No longer.
This was the Tower Cabana, a year-round city country club on Peterson at Jersey on the North Side of Chicago, in its technicolor heyday. A vacation to Miami Beach without leaving Hollywood Park.
It was a schlep to take the Kimball Avenue bus from Peterson to Lawrence and then the “L” to the Loop and back on what may have been the slowest route in the system, but the round-trip fare was less than a dollar and we had nothing but time.
I’ve always associated the city with a single body of water, the lake; these two books reminded me a river runs through it.
Manny Weincord shares memories of Albany Park — as a kid and as a high school basketball coach.
The next best thing to actually visiting a cemetery is browsing through the recently published book, Graveyards of Chicago, by Matt Hucke and Ursula Bielski.
In case you’ve missed the email that’s been circulating about this event, here are the details. Von Steuben and Roosevelt High School grads are invited to Max and Benny’s Restaurant, 461 Waukegan Road in Northbrook, on Monday evening, September 30, for an evening of fun and reconnection with friends. The event starts at 5:00 p.m. […]
Frances O’Cherony Archer writes this blog
THOSE were the days!
Never miss a post: subscribe via mail chimp
What we’re saying
- A look back at Lincoln Village Shopping Center January 29, 2012
- Hot Dogs and Baseball: An Albany Park Boyhood February 4, 2011
- Albany Park Cool February 13, 2012
- A Funny Fellow Remembers Albany Park July 24, 2012
- 23 Memories of Hollywood Park January 26, 2015
- When living in Hollywood Park meant living on the prairie January 13, 2015
- Book Review: Good Old Neon December 4, 2014
- A Legend Among Legends of Chicago Hot Dog Stands November 18, 2014
- Frances Archer: Ed -- was the chop suey place you are thinking of ...
- Frances Archer: Yep, this is true. I've seen the early blueprints...
- Frances Archer: Hey, JK, thanks for providing ME with a great trip...
- ED SONKIN: SHELBY: YOU DIDN'T VENTURE MUCH FROM THE BRYN MAU...