One of the readers of this blog, Shelby Kanarish, wrote this comment in a previous blog post. It’s a great list and a great idea. Send in your lists and I’ll share them. Thanks, Shelby.
“Hi, I am Shelby Kanarish, also known as Peppy. I went to Peterson School and Von Steuben High School with David Criz and Eileen Feinberg. Your blog brings back some great fond memories.”
1. I worked at Fader’s delivering food on my bike.
2. Worked at Gills Pharmacy at Bryn Mawr and Kimball as a soda jerk.. Made the best chocolate phosphates.
3. Lived at 5519 N. Spaulding from 1941 to 1959. Roberta Pines, Rickie Morris, Arnie Elman, Alan Myers, Mike Goodstein, Corky Fahlhaber(spelling?) and Chuckie Bosworth lived on the block. Barry Dermer lived on Sawyer. We would play ball on the street all the time. NO ONE EVER GOT HIT BY A CAR.
4. Loved the chocolate malts at Sandlers on Bryn Maw and Spaulding.
5. Had many meals at Tanyas on on north east side of Bryn Mawr and Spaulding.
6. Loved playing softball at Peterson School on the gravel.
7. Did dips and chin ups at Peterson School with Marshall Waldo and Howie Weinstein.
8. Played softball and football at Hollywood Park Had a great rock garden and pond.
9. Sat on steps with Roberta Rudy Kurtz on Christiana across from Peterson School. Great discussions and gossip
10. Took tap dancing at Charlotte and Harry Robbins studio on Bryn Mawr. I WAS A NERD.
11. Ate dinner at Brynwoods just west of Kedfzie on the north side of Bryn Mawr.
12. In the 40’s there was a trolly car on Kedzie
13. Went to Share Tikvah Hebrew School 4 afternoons a week.
14. Had Bar Mitzvah at Share Tikvah in 1955
15. In the summer I would play at Peterson School playground from 9-5. PARENTS WERE PROBABLY GUILTY OF CHILD ENDANGERMENT.
16. Had Miss Reed in kindergarten and Mrs. Bolonsky(spelling) for several semesters.
17. Ice skating on Peterson Ave. east of Kedzie and McDonalds.
18. Saturday movies at the Terminal Theater on Lawrence Ave. When we got older, we went on Friday night.
19. My Aunt Mary Kanarish and Pippy Feldman owned the Hollywood Smart Shop.
20. Hitch hiked to Von from Bryn Mawr and Kimball. MORE CHILD ENDANGERMENT.
21. My father, Ozzie Kanarish, was a member of the Hollywood Park Fellowship Club on Bryn Mawr east of Spaulding.
22. My mother, Irene Kanarish, shopped at the Kosher butcher shop near the Hollywood Park Fellowship Club.
23. Went to the Dime Store on Bryn Mawr a lot